Tuesday 9 August 2016

First Day of Work Take Two...

After talking to Andrea last night, she decided it would be better for me to move to a new company since it didn't seem like there was much valuable work, or work that will give me valuable experience. So I'm now a marketing/advertising intern at the Malaysia Canada Business Council (MCBC)!

This job is so much better, I already love it. The only down side is that calling people to ask them for donations or if we can give them donations is a little hard with the language barrier. But I'll work through it and get the communication down pat eventually. I'm working at MCBC with Kashika and we share a desk and are working on the same project together.

So far we've had to contact orphanages to see if they want tickets to a puppet play by a Canadian that's happening in KL this week, we also need to find and secure a company for an ad in the magazine called The Bridge that MCBC publishes Quarterly. And we need to create a list and contact companies to be sponsors for the MCBC annual golf tournament. It seems every time we see Roger (our boss) he gives us something else to do, so I think we'll be busy.

The office is nice and the bathrooms are like a palace compared the ones I had yesterday! The people who work here and in the partner company VisionaryZone are all really nice, friendly and funny. There's a guy named Kitty, another named Panda, and 5 others in the office. Plus Kashika, Rebecca and I (all from the work study program).

We are driven home at the end of the day which is really nice after our long commute to get here in the morning. And people work the strangest and most slack hours ever here. It's 12:30 and 3 of the employees in the office still aren't here yet! Our hours are 9:30-6:30, so by the time we get to work and get home at the end of the day we've been gone for 12 hours and are exhausted. But I feel like the work I'm doing at MCBC will be valuable and beneficial to both the company and me. Hopefully I'll come out of here with some great contacts and maybe some job possibilities.

Things on the job front are looking up and now Malaysia couldn't get any better!

1 comment:

  1. Great BlogSpot Lisa - I am glad your new role is better for you! Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete