Tuesday 14 June 2011

Singapore!!!

Friday finally came at last and we were all really excited to start our adventure.. so excited that even though our bus didn't leave until 9pm we all decided we needed to get off work at 4 on friday! So we all hung out around the apartment, and got some dinner and relaxed before leaving for the bus at 8. We got to the bus station and guess what... malaysia time worked its magic again and our bus wouldn't be leaving KL until 10:15... GREAT...an hour and a half to kill! Luckily for us we were at the mall so we wandered around a bit, and Stef, Thomas and I got some starbucks and then went to meet the bus.


The bus was the nicest most comfortable thing I have ever seen! The chairs were huge, and it was a double decker, and the chairs had massagers in them! We were all so excited to start our adventure. Stef and I had already decided that Saturday at Universal Studios would be one of the top 5 best days of our lives, so we were very excited!! Finally at about 10:30 we were on our way! The bus ride was fairly painless, except that we were all too excited to sleep! So when we got to the border and had to get off the bus for customs it wasn't too big of a deal. It's school holidays here right now, so there is a lot more traffic on the roads, but since we were driving so late at night, we didn't have any problems with traffic or getting through customs.


When we finally got to Singapore and got a cab it was about 4am... the cab took us as far as they could to our hostel, but it was in the middle of chinatown so we had to walk a bit.. THERE WERE SO MANY COCKROACHES on the street! and we were really worried our hostel would be dirty and full of them too. But we were pleasantly surprised when we got into the hostel and it was clean and the people were so friendly. There were 9 of us in a 12 bed dorm, and the other 3 were in a different room. We tried to be as quiet as we could getting our stuff in before going to sleep, but with metal lockers and beds you can only be so quiet... we had a nice little 4 hour nap before we were up and ready to head to universal for the day of amazingness!!


Singapore is so clean and so much more efficient than KL, getting to universal was really easy and fast.. so by 10 we were in the park with our tickets and fast passes in hand and ready for a day of fun! Stef is terrified of roller coasters, so of course the fastest and best roller coaster in the park was where we headed first! And we made her sit in the front row with us! She was terrified, but was so happy to have survived that we decided we should all go on again, and after that she had conquered her fear and was no longer scared! After 4 rides, it started to POUR! Luckily for us, we had just finished a ride that was attached to a gift shop and we bought some awesome universal ponchos and kept working our way around the park with our fast passes (which get you on the rides faster) looking awesome in our ponchos! Lunch time came after we went to Shrek 4D.. which wasn't as good as Honey I Shrunk the Kids.. at least it didn't compare to my amazing childhood memories! For lunch we had some delicious wraps and fries with our fav diet coke (just like italy... diet coke tastes sooooo good here!) After lunch we went to Waterworld which was a show they play every couple hours. It has designated areas for where you'll get soaked, a little wet and not wet at all... Stef, Jill, Breann and I decked out in our awesome ponchos went for the soak zone, and would have been drenched if we weren't protected by our layer of plastic! Everyone went to the show, so after we met up and decided we'd all go around for 2 more hours and then meet for dinner at Hard Rock Cafe! So the girls and I finished the rides we hadn't been on yet, bought some souvenirs and met everyone for a delicious dinner!




After dinner we all headed back to the hostel for showers and a little relaxation before preparing ourselves for our night out in Singapore! After a few drinks and a lot of laughs we left the hostel in search of the street with all the bars. We found it fairly easily, but got VERY VERY distracted by the slingshot ride, and a massive swing... 10 of us bought tickets for both rides for $50, and I think it was the best money I have every spent in my life! Stef was so scared, but I decided she'd already conquered her fear of roller coasters for the day, so why not add soaring through the atmosphere to the list of things we've done! We were all scared, and before we took off Stef and I both recited all the people we loved: "I LOVE MY MOM I LOVE MY DAD I LOVE MY SISTER I LOVE MY FAMILY AND I LOVE YOU STEF" The slingshot was the most exhilarating and amazing thing I have ever done! The swing ride was next and Breann and I were elected to be the captains. This meant that once the light on the ground turned green, we could pull the lever at any time and we would be released to start swinging! So Breann and I decided we were going to wait 4 seconds before pulling the lever, but once we got up there and counted to 4... we couldn't pull the lever up! We spent about 5 seconds before we realized we actually needed to push it down to release ourselves! Stef was so scared and it was hilarious that we were so stupid we couldn't figure out the lever! I don't think I've ever laughed as much, or had as much fun crammed into one day as we did on Saturday! It definitely lived up to our expectations of being one of the top 5 days of our lives!


After a little sleep in (until 9:30) on sunday we were all up and ready to head out on some tourist activities! A few members of our group were a little worse for wear after the night before, and the heat was so hot, but we all managed to get to the Singapore flier (the biggest observation wheel in the world!) in one piece and were all excited to see the views. Supposedly you can see malaysia from the wheel, but it was a little smoggy on sunday so we couldn't see as far as you might be able to normally! After the wheel which took about half an hour to go all the way around we headed the the Marina Bay Sands, a designer mall on the Marina. There was a pretty boardwalk, and the architecture in Singapore is amazing, so we took lots of pictures and wandered around outside before going into the mall to cool down and meet up with everyone! By this time it was about 4:00 and we had to head back to the hostel to get our stuff and get to the bus station to head home and end the most amazing weekend ever. It was so sad that it was our last weekend with everyone here, but it was definitely a great way to go out with a bang! Everyone was exhausted after so little sleep over the weekend and everyone crashed on the bus. When we got back to KL it was about 10:30 and we were all slightly more rested after little naps, but pretty much everyone went straight to bed!


I can't believe 6 weeks here is already almost over. I got friday off from work to spend with everyone and pack my life here up. So I only have 2 more days at work to do nothing and hang out with my coworkers, who are amazing people. I have had the time of my life here, have met amazing friends, and have rediscovered myself and how exciting life can be if you take a few risks! I am SO excited for Bali and Thailand with one of my best friends, and one of my new friends! We are going to have the most amazing time hanging out on beaches, learning to surf, meeting more new people, and hopefully running into our Malaysia friends throughout our travels!

This might be my last blog post before I get to the airport for my way home because I'll be leaving my computer with my big suitcase while we're travelling for the next few weeks! As soon as my computer and I are reunited I will post a blog or 2 recapping bali and thailand for you. And hopefully will see you all VERY soon after I get home on July 7!

Love you all! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment